Jasper-Newton Electric Cooperative was formed on June 7, 1943, for the purpose of building electrical service to the rural areas of Jasper and Newton Counties. The first meeting of the incorporators and directors was held June 9, 1943, where a copy of the Articles of Incorporation from the Secretary of State’s office was presented and approved.
On June 11, 1943, a special meeting was called to present loan documents from the REA to finance construction and operation of an electric generating plant, and electric distribution and service lines. At the end of 1943, Jasper-Newton EC was serving 196 members and 60 miles of line.
By 1948, Jasper-Newton EC had 2,799 members in Jasper, Newton, Orange and Angelina counties. In 1953, after 10 years of progress, the numbers jumped to 5,239 members and 1,330 miles of line. Today, Jasper-Newton EC serves more than 18,500 members and maintains 3,225 miles of line in five (5) counties- Jasper, Newton, Orange, Angelina and Sabine.